Medical issues after an uneven pavement fall

On Behalf of | Oct 24, 2019 | Premises Liability

When people think about injuries due to premises liability in New York, one of the most common issues is if a property owner has failed to maintain a safe area as required by law. When there are broken sidewalks, uneven pavement, dangerous objects on the property and other factors, it can cause people to fall and become injured. These injuries can result in medical costs and long-term injuries. After a fall, it is imperative to know how to attempt to recover compensation from the property owner for all that was lost.

These accidents and injuries can happen on residential and commercial properties. A residential homeowner must make sure that the area is safe for passersby. Failure to do so can warrant a lawsuit. If, for example, a person is walking on the sidewalk and the pavement needs repairs that were not done in a timely fashion and there is a fall, the owner may face a legal filing. The same is true for commercial property. Many might be under the impression that a fall will not lead to severe injuries, but that is not accurate.

People who fall on the sidewalk can hit their heads and suffer a brain injury, in the worst-case scenarios. Brain injuries can have extensive consequences and lead to massive medical expenses. Spinal cord injuries can leave a person unable to walk or with issues that require surgery and other treatments. There can be broken bones, cuts, bruises and more. Before simply accepting the incident and thinking that there is nothing more that can be done, it is wise to get medical care and know the address where the accident occurred.

Filing a report about the accident is one of the most important steps that a person can take after they have been injured. Property owners should be held accountable for failure to maintain a safe area. Those who have been hurt due to negligent property owners must remember their rights to potentially pursue a premises liability case. This is a priority when seeking to recover compensation.